Woodlawn Baptist Church was founded September 22, 1850, as Jones Creek Baptist Church with fourteen members in a rural section of the southern part of East Baton Rouge Parish. In the beginning, it was called "The Baptist Church." In 1872, it was relocated to its current location at 5805 Jones Creek Road, only a few miles from the original location on South Harrell's Ferry Road.
The Jones Creek name was changed to Woodlawn Baptist Church in 1963 to identify more with the surrounding, rapidly developing community. In the late 1980's, God led the church to contruct a new sanctuary and prepare for the growth in the population of the community. By God's grace, the church began to grow in size as a result of its passion for the Word and for people. Woodlawn was led for over 23 years by Dr. Tommy Middleton who was instrumental in leading the church to reach out to our community and the world.
Since its founding, Woodlawn has demonstrated a great passion for spreading the Gospel through Church planting. We are proudly the oldest Baptist church in East Baton Rouge Parish and started First Baptist Church Baton Rouge, Parkview Baptist Church in Baton Rouge, and Istrouma Baptist Church in Baton Rouge. Woodlawn continues to demonstrate its passion for church planting through current initiatives in Baton Rouge, Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada, and in India.